Speaking of passion, Marc Gobé's excellent book "Emotional Branding" recommends the following shifts in perspective from traditional branding to emotional branding. We think he's onto something:
1. from consumers to people: Consumers buy, people live.
2. from product to experience: Products fulfill needs, experiences fulfill desires.
3. from honesty to trust: Honesty is expected. Trust is engaging and intimate.
4. from quality to preference: Quality for the right price is a given today. Preference creates the sale.
5. from notoriety to aspiration: Being known does not mean that you are also loved!
6. from identity to personality: Identity is recognition. Personality is about character and charisma.
7. from function to feel: The functionality of a product is about practical or superficial qualities only. Sensorial design is about experiences.
8. from ubiquity to presence: Ubiquity is seen. Emotional presence is felt.
9. from communication to dialogue: Communication is telling. Dialogue is sharing.
10. from service to relationship: Service is selling. Relationship is acknowledgment.